Saturday, May 12, 2012

A Brighter Day


May 12, 2012

To daddy...

I had a dream last night.

It was shroud in the darkness by the forest I was standing in. My bare feet standing on the moist ground. I tilt my head back and gaze up at the large thick trunk as the tall tree extends upwards into the sky. Their branches reaching out like an octopuses tentacles intertwining with other tributary limbs from nearby trees that are standing in their own solitude.

The tree limbs are tightly woven together. Swallowing up the otherwise bright blue sky. I stare up at the thick foliage trying to find a glimpse of the heavens but I am denied such an exquisiteness view. With such a heavy canvass hovering over me it will make it impossible to find my way out. I am lost in a hopeless place where darkness seems to be common place.

Do I stay or do I venture out?

The underbrush is just as thick, which perplexes me that such thickness can grow under such frondescence. I extend my arms out to feel my way but I am too afraid to move. I push back digging my toes further into the dirt. Planting my feet like roots while I push back against the tree. My body begins to fall back as I try to brace myself against the trunk of the tree. Moss that has attached itself to the side of the bark catches me as my body settles in softening my landing like an air mattress.

It feels comfortable. I close my eyes to sleep within my sleep. The dirt that I am standing in consumes my feet, planting me in my position. I don’t have the energy to pull them out so I allow nature to take its course. My legs stiffen like a board and I rise to an upright position. I don’t fight it. It seems pleasant here under the tops of the heavy roof. I think I want stay beneath the herbage and deal with my own umbrage.

My body begins to grow. Could I be rising to the occasion? My legs thicken and gain strength as my roots extend downward into the terra firma. The land beneath me seems cool and refreshing. My torso elongates and expands fortifying my exterior. As I sprout the growth takes on more momentum. The rush of the wind whisks by me as I force myself upwards at a fast pace. The growth lessens as I begin to reach the low ceiling of my domed enclosure.

My arms take on a life of their own.

They reach out and make their way through the thick vegetation that has darkened my hope. They crisscross among the other branches breaking through allowing small amounts of light to creep in. The sunlight quenches my thirst and nurtures my rise. I punch through the thick over growth and extend outwardly. I am full speed ahead. It feels like nothing can stop me now as my body towers over the forest allowing me to see beyond the darkness and smell the fresh air. I try to walk but I am stuck. My feet cementing itself under the soil.

I wake up.

I’m laying here on the couch staring up at the ceiling. My feet no longer in the ground I get up and firmly place them on the wood floors of my living room. I wiggle my toes as I stare at them.

“What a weird dream.”

I look at my kids. They’re sound a sleep.

“I better sneak outside to enjoy my peace while I can” I say to myself.

I walk to the kitchen and open the refrigerator. I grab one of two sugarfree Redbulls I have left and crack it open.

The air rushes in as I pop the top making that unforgettable sound all canned soda makes. I go to the back room and open the rear door. It swings open and a rush of the morning breeze hits my face.

I breath in deep

The air rushes in through my nose and I push it out my mouth. When I step out I admire the deep blue sky and don’t take the moment for granted. That and the peace that my sleeping kids are affording me. I take a sip of my Redbull.

“Ahhh”, I say after I suck it back into the rear of my throat. I hold the can out and admire it. I take a step back and look at my boys who are sleeping together on the large couch.

“I hope they are having better dreams then me” I say to myself.

I proceed to walk outside and allow the suns ultraviolet rays hit my skin providing me with vitamin D. All the vitamins I’ll take this morning. I think about my dream what it meant.

“Maybe it meant that I may be stuck in my situation but there is light, I just have to break through.” I wonder as I take another sip of my Redbull.

I’ll take it as a good sign. My boys will make it better. They are my life now and I will do what it takes to make their life successful. In the meantime I’ll enjoy this quite while they sleep and the sunlight this day has brought. I won’t take it for granted. My back yard is big and green and the only trees here are large royal palms. They won’t darken this day. Their branches aren’t thick enough.

It will only get brighter.


With Love,

The boys

For a Good Heart Pump

Foot Chase, A Short Story










Christopher Fusaro. The author of Captain Imperfecto.

© copyright 2012. All rights reserved.


Also see us at www.captainimperfecto.com

No comments:

Post a Comment