Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Foot Chase, A Short Story

You are here: Home » Foot Chase, A Short Story



April 16th, 2012

Mimie loved to go on police rides with me. It was a fun adventure for her and I think she got an adrenaline rush out of some of the police actions as much as I do.

Usually, there's 2 kinds of police ride along guests. The first type is the ride along they call the "shit stirrer". When the "shit stirrer" rides every type of crime that could happen, usually does. When that occurs all the road officers say,"that shit stirrer can never ride again!"

Then there's the type of ride along that is in the sense the "cooler". The cooler ride along is like a good luck charm for the road and nothing happens. When they ride all the road officers say, "That cooler can ride anytime."

Mimie was a "shit stirrer". But she was the bosses wife and rode when she wanted. One Friday night Mimie did a ride along with me. And the "shit stirrer" rep was in full effect. We had a small break in the action so I drove over to a night club and met up with a couple off duty officers that were working the club. The off duty officer is paid by night club management, usually for lawsuit purposes, to keep the club goers in check. As a detail officer you work in full uniform and conduct yourself under the requirements of policies and procedures and state law. So when we arrive Mimie elected to stay in the car. I told her I won't be long.

I parked my marked police car in front of the club along with the 2 other cruisers already parked there. It's good to have the police cars in the open for high visibility purposes and safety. I left the cars engine running for Mimie so she could use the cars air conditioner and listen to music on the radio while she waited. The car was facing the front entrance of the club and her and I were always in sight of one and other. I met up with the other officers just outside the club. All three of us stood in usual cop position.

One officer stood with his arms crossed. Butt against the car door, feet crossed or open stance. Faced in the position to view the night clubs front doors in case the bouncers threw someone out. Another officer facing that cop who was leaning against the car. He stood with a wide stance. One hand would be resting on the handle of his gun the other hand hanging from his gun belt using his thumb as a hook attaching it to any object attached from his belt that feels comfortable for resting. And for me? I was facing the officer leaning on the car. I like to view whats going on in the opposite direction. My stance is wide. My left forearm is resting on the top of my gun handle. The rest of my forearm lying on top of the belt. My left hand is resting on the "pepper spray" holster. As for my right arm it's extended down. My right hands thumb and index finger wrapped around my radio holster. We are standing in a triangle.

After spending a little time there I decided it was time to leave. I turn towards my car and make eye contact with Mimie and smile. She smiled back as I walked towards the car. I open the drivers door and spun in the direction of the clubs door using my left hand to use the open door as leverage.

As I swung around the door I began to say to Mimie, " Heyyyy baby...." and that's when I heard a ruckus.

My body was partially bent over since I was standing on the curbed sidewalk. I was taller then the cars roof so the only way to see Mimie's face is if I was bent over. When I heard the shouting coming from the entrance I looked away quickly leaving my vision of Mimies smiling face a blur. I saw a body in midair coming from the entrance of the club.

His body hit the concrete sidewalk. I then saw 2-3 guys appear from the door being pushed back. As they cleared the doorway and into the outside air I saw members of the club security, who were wearing shirts that read SECURITY on them pushing back against the men. It looked like two sets of magnets pushing away from each other.

I peered through the open door and said, " Well, here we go. Be right back. Love ya." and with that I slammed the door and charged to the after party.

As I approached the sea of bodies I was planning on what to do. Too many people and too many hands to jump in. Where to begin? I then saw 2 men separate from the pack. I could see one of the two men was staff security. The guy the club security guard was tussling with threw him to the ground. The security guards body slammed into the concrete. He didn't move. Either he was hurt or just too tired to reengage.

So I focused on the patron that threw him down and yelled, "hey police officer! Move away from him!" He turned towards me and took a fighting posture.

I was real close to him. We locked our arms up. We both didn't budge. He tried to turn my body one way. I tried to turn his body another. You see the trick to fighting is having the cooler head. Here him an I are locked in a situation. It's more of a sumo fight then a boxing match at this point. The whole time in my mind I am thinking,"okay this ain't working. Try the leg sweep." You gotta have a cool head to think like that.

I then take my left leg and place it behind his right leg. I plant my left foot tight onto the ground utilizing all my weight. I then lean into him and drag my left foot along the ground pulling it into his right leg sweeping his leg from under him. He went right to the ground. As I begin to move towards him I felt something hit my head and right ear.

"OUCH! What the fuck?!" I shouted. As I grab my head with both hands to shield it from any other strikes.

I hear,"oh no you didn't!" The voice was familiar. It was Ralph one of the detail officers.

He had just witnessed one of the combatants use his belt as a weapon. The young wannabe bad ass had taken his belt off from his pants and he was swinging it like a lasso. Sounds relatively harmless until you look at the other end of the leather belt and see the belt buckle attached to the other end is fairly large in size. Maybe 6 inches tall and 6 inches wide. It weighed about 4-5 lbs.

While all this was going on Mimie also witnessed it from her front row seat of my patrol car. She would later say,"I thought the whole event was a dream. A nightmare."

Well, don't worry Mimie that's how I feel now about your death. Someone please wake me.

Just after Ralph shouted,"oh, no you didn't!" The guy ran off. Followed by Ralph then I followed.

I jumped over the lucky guy that I had just thrown to the ground. He wasn't my priority anymore and wouldn't be going to jail. I had another person of interest. I wanted "the guy" that used my head as a belt loop.

I stepped off the sidewalk into the clubs parking lot. Ralph and "the guy" have a 5 very large step lead. I really wasn't pushing it too hard. After all Ralph is a former track star who went to college on a track scholarship. Surely he'd catch him.

As this plays out Mimie can hear all the commotion through the police car dispatch radio.

We zig zag through the parked cars. I dig my feet into the cool asphalt. As I run in between the cars my feet kick used beer bottles and cans thrown to the ground by club goers. We start heading for the main road way.

"Come on Ralph. Get him." I think to myself as I huff and puff.

We run through the shrubs and just as I clear through them. I hear a loud thud followed by an,"Oh, shit! My ankle".

As I clear through the branches I see Ralph on the ground. As he stepped off the curb he twisted his ankle and crashed to the ground. "Go! Go!" he shouts. "Damn it! It's on me", the thought ran through my mind and i was in disbelief.

Thankfully I was hardly running earlier. Yea, right. I was on his trail. He wasn't far off from me. He was already tired and exerted a lot of steam and slowed up. We were zig zagging between cars again. Only this time we were in traffic. Mimie was still listening to the police radio with all the attention of Game 7 of the World Series.

He was within my grasp. So I reach out. The tips of my nails sliding off his sweaty skin. I almost had him. I push myself a little more and decided to dive into him. As my feet leave the ground I stretch out like superman only not as graceful as he does in the movies.

My left foot drags along the roadway. My right foot off the ground. I stretch my fingers out and let out an "oomph." I'm gonna get him. Almost there. This is what I been waiting for. He turns to the left suddenly. I sailed passed him and belly flop on the ground. My momentum taking me forward as my body slides across the rough roadway. My skin on my hands and forearms tear like if I just slid across a cheese grater.

As my body and on-coming traffic come to a screeching halt I see my guy fading into the darkness. I hung my head down. My legs bent back towards me suspended in the air held on by knee caps like a hinge. I'm on my stomach and I pound my fist on the ground. "fuuuuuuck" I shout. As I resigned to my fate that he was gonna get away I hear a loud noise. A horn blares.

I look up and from my ground vantage point I see a large truck in the far lane. He had seen some poor pedestrian in the roadway. In an attempted to not hit him with his truck he slammed on the vehicles breaks. He sounded the trucks horn but that wasn't enough. Wack!

"Down goes Frasier! Down goes Frasier!"

Unwittingly to the driver of the large truck his vehicle had just struck "the guy". I watched "the guy"'s body launch in the air. Travel 20 feet and land on the ground. It took me a second to realize what I just saw. Like Mimie before me when she saw this whole ordeal begin in front of the club.

I wondered if he was alive.

And then movement. He was alive and getting up.

"This bitch is mine" I said. I sprang up to life with new hope.

I was sore and was limping towards "the guy". He looked back over his left shoulder and saw me closing in. And with all his might he began to run again. All the people in the cars that had to suddenly stop for the accident got out of their vehicles and watched this whole event unfold. I don't know if they thought if it was a police foot chase they were witnessing or a zombie.

"The guy" and I were damaged. Cuts and bruises and blood on us both. He ran with a drunken stagger. And I gave chase like a person in a prosthetic leg. It was slow motion at its best. I had the upper hand since I wasn't just hit with the Ford F250 full size truck.

I finally caught up to my prize and wrangled him to the ground. Unfortunately it wasn't as great as dramatic as the chase but I got "the guy".

Mimie met me by the ambulance while I was having my road rash looked at. She was scared for me and upset by the event.

I looked at her and said," Well if it isn't my little shit stirrer" she laughed.

She said with exuberance and glee,"This was the best ride along yet!"

I looked at all the police guys who were around me. Their stares said it all. They wanted me to find a cooler to ride for now on. But they knew better. She's my wife after all.

I then turned to Mimie and said," Hey wanna do a ride along with me to the hospital in the back of the ambulance?"










Christopher Fusaro. The author of Captain Imperfecto.

© copyright 2012. All rights reserved.

1 comment:

  1. That was great! :-) Not going to lie, I actually did LOL when you belly flopped. I could just see you flying through the air right past the guy....lol..Glad you weren't hurt too bad and finally caught him!

    ReplyDelete