Thursday, December 10, 2015

Pressing Snooze

You are here: Home » Pressing Snooze

Nico (left) and Christopher at a Christmas Ice show in Orlando, T'was the Night Before Christmas 


December 10, 2015

Without looking over my shoulder, I reached out my arm, and with the very tips of my fingers, I pressed the snooze bar on my alarm clock. I never once opened my eyes and didn't need to know the time. It's 6 A.M. I know the dreaded time has arrived when I must place my weary feet on the floor and start my day.

I'm enjoying what little rest the snooze function will afford me. The countdown has begun, though, from when I hit the button and the five-minute buffer before that annoying, "beep, beep, beep" noise begins to pierce my ears. I long to keep my eyes tightly shut and fall back to sleep while I do my best to forget that I must start my day. Someone has to pay the bills until I'm rich or win the lottery.

"Man," I think, "there has to be like three minutes left of rest here in my bed," I said. "Dream, Chris, dream of something good with your fleeting minutes."

But I can't dream, I can't rest, the anxiety is building. There have to be two minutes left on my snooze button reset. This anticipation is grueling. I open my eyes and stare at the wall. Slowly, the low light of the alarm clock reflects back at me, and yet, I don't look back at the time. I am determined to rest. Sleep like a bump on a log; what does that even mean, for at least the one minute and a half that I have left? Okay, one minute and ten seconds.

I know I could hit snooze again. My situation isn't absolute. But if I continue to stall, I may sacrifice some things, like coffee. I can't do that. I can forgo brushing my teeth by eating a piece of gum as a substitute. Wait, do I have gum? Forget it; I won't brush my teeth if it means I can snooze again. No matter how disgusting that may be. But why not brush my teeth when I go pee? I have to pee; it's a daily morning ritual. Unless I could pee outside by my car on the way out the door for work. What about brushing my hair? What about it, Chris, you're bald. Okay then, where else can I cut corners to extend my snooze?

It's too late, and I need help figuring out where to cut corners. I will have to force myself up when that alarm goes off in 25 seconds. At least I think it's 25 seconds, more like 20 now, going on 15, counting down to 10, 9, 8,7,6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1….Wait, no alarm? I must have my time off; the alarm should be going off….

<beep, beep, beep, beep>

There it is! I just want to go to sleep to forget and stop torturing yourself, Chris. Just snooze again! But no! I won't. I'll just get my butt up and be grateful that I can start a new day.

I sit up from my bed. The room is so cold, but baby, my sheets are warm. I just have to ignore the call to my bed. Forget that pillow; I don't want it! I don't need sleep; I'm a beast, an animal. I can do this by taking on my day and heading to work like a champ!

Wait, I just realized I'm off today.


567 words


Captain Imperfecto needs a selfie stick.


© Copyright 2012- 2024 Captain Imperfecto, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be republished, rewritten or redistributed without permission.  Please contact if you would like to re-publish in film, television or print. 






No comments:

Post a Comment