Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Mindless Thoughts Before Tomorrow Comes

You are here: Home » Mindless ThoughtsvBefore Tomorrow Comes



August 29th, 2012

I sit in my car's driver's seat, waiting for my red light to turn green. Cars move before me, their patience paying off as they charge through the green light. My thoughts are so deep I don't even know they're there. But they must be because they are interrupting my concentration. I'm caught between my deep thoughts and staring into the far-off distance occupying my mind.

The clouds above me are dark and moving fast across the sky, begging for my attention, but I don't look up. I still stare straight ahead. Much like the cars moving left to right in front of my windshield, I don't have to pay attention to know they are there. The clouds are as large as the ocean, encompassing everything that gets in its way, including deep-thought motorists, who know a lot about them for someone not seeming to care.

The day is gloomy for a mid-afternoon. It's the perfect backdrop for my mood. Is everyone like this- I think.

People shop from behind my car window, wondering what is going on with the walks of life as they pass me along the sidewalks that are married with the asphalt in which my car rests. The people are only window-shopping, without any real clothing goal; however, they seem to have lots of places to be, but why is everyone in such a rush to go somewhere without really getting anywhere? At least the clouds have a place to go before they wreak havoc on these people below.

My trance is fixated on the feet of the people as they hurriedly walk from one shop to the next. Their feet stop momentarily so I can catch a glimpse. In contrast, they stop to drool over this coming Fall fashion accessories.  

"Ugly shoes," I say, shifting my eyes to the next pair that walks on by. 

Moving with speed to their next destination. Much like the cars that are passing in front of me. I don't have to pay attention to know that they are there. They are just people in a rush, ignoring those around them without making a fuss.

I look beyond the people on the streets and glimpse the mannequins in the windows and the clothes they wear. 

Who dresses them and why? Who decides what goes where? Were they in a rush to dress them much like the people that stop and stare – I think to myself. 

I don't have to wear the clothes to know I won't shop there. I'll shop from my car with my phone if I want to kill some time before it's time to get the green light and go.

I zone out and wonder what my next move is and if I will break through to the other side of life. I want to reach my dreams and fulfill my own destiny when all I'll ever do is write for a living. My thoughts deepen much like the thickness of the clouds overhead as my mind races like those feet that pound the concrete to get around. Right now, I can only window shop and hope that one day things will be okay and work their way out, much like those shoppers buying those clothes from the mannequins, hoping they choose the right dress that will bring them their own success.

If it wasn't for the people…

"Honk" 

The horn jolts me out of my mindless thoughts as I press on my gas and move out of their way fast. I don't know what's my rush; I really have no place to go, but apparently, all the people sitting in their cars behind me have a much better life than me as they go around my car at my law-abiding speed, screaming- Move out of the way so our ass can go before tomorrow comes!


640 words









Christopher Fusaro. The author of Captain Imperfecto.

© Copyright 2012- 2024 Captain Imperfecto, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be republished, rewritten or redistributed without permission.  Please contact if you would like to re-publish in film, television or print. 

Also see us at www.captainimperfecto.com

No comments:

Post a Comment