Thursday, May 24, 2012

"A Pirates Life for Me" Part I

You are here: Home » A Pirates Life for Me I

May 24th, 2012

My Disney passes were about to expire on May 23rd, so I loaded up the boys and took them for a little bit of Disney Magic.

My mornings are the same like all my day breaks. I wake up and I have two lives laying on me from the night before. It’s going to be difficult to break the boys of the habit of sleeping with me on the couch, but yet I still allow it.

I haven’t had the courage to sleep in the bed I shared with Mimie. But that’s a whole new story in itself.

Lets just stick to the “Magical World of Disney”, for now.

The couch is uncomfortable. I can’t really move into too many positions on its narrow width. The seat cushions are fine, but when I remove the back cushions to add a little more space to accommodate more bodies, like my boys, I’ll lay sideways with my back against the back of the couch.

With those pillows off it exposes the thin layer of cloth that covers the wood's 2x2 plank that lays parallel with the length of the couch. It supports the structure. With my bare spine pushing up against the lumber it makes things worse. It feels like sleeping on a pull out sofa beds metal framed but aslant. At dawns break, I feel like I need to add a piece of timber to support my own structure.

I remove myself from the couch and the tangled bodies in the blanket. I’m bent at the waist to slow the shock to my back as I try to stand up right. I turn to my boys and stare at them and they in turn stare back at me.

“Bye, bye?” I ask.

Nico pops his head up like a Jack n’ the Box, “Bye, bye?!” he says with enthusiasm

Christopher doesn’t move from his spot on the pillow, but his eyes are open and with a slow drawl he copies Nico, “Bye, bye?” He asks.

“Let’s go to Disney boys” I clap my hands and turn to walk down the hallway.

The boys follow suit.

Its not easy getting these guys ready but I am turning into a pro. My body is tired and I yearn to grieve the loss of my wife, but still haven’t been afforded the opportunity to do so. The thought of driving to Disney is not appealing to me right now and I’m forcing myself to get up and go.

So, with a heavy heart, that I am trying to turn light hearted, I get the fellas dressed and were off to the place “where dreams come true.”

We begin the car drive north and the boys are lost in their own world. They snack on food, watch a DVD‘s, take a nap. I am forced to find a station that plays decent music on the radio. I don’t understand how but when you travel outside your living area, all the music stations disappear. I can’t even find a frequency that can sustain my Sirius Satellite radio.

After a nearly three hour car drive we made it.

The kid in me wakes up and I’m flushed with excitement. More so for my boys. Nico announces “icky, icky” a loud as we pass through the large steal beam that has large pronounce letters that read, “Walt Disney World” as you drive through.

We work are way through the winding road and park the van. Before I get the boys out of their car seats I prep everything because now I learn from experience that once the boys are out of the van you have passed the point of no return.

I pull the large double stroller from the back hatch area of our Nissan Quest minivan. It folds like an accordion, so I squeeze it together ,giving the metal and fabric some slack, and push down the red lever that will open it up like an umbrella.

The process begins.

I load the stroller up with all the essentials. Diaper bag, towel, paper towels, extra diapers, clothes and snacks. I walk over to Nico with the sun block and I begin to douse him with it. Learning protection from the sun is essential.

I start with the right leg. I squirt the heavy white lotion in my hands and a push my hands together and rub vigorously lathering up my hands. I start at his foot and work my way up to this thigh. It’s the same with the left leg.

Both boys sit there as I do this, like they are well trained and heavily pampered athletes.

Once the legs are done, I work my way to the arms. Again, I squirt some lotion in my hand, but this time as I begin to place my palms together and rub Nico copies me and reenacts me verbatim. I grab his hands and pull the apart. I start with his fingers and work my way up his forearms to his shoulders.

The face is tricky. Both boys don’t like their face touched so I place dabs of sun block on my finger tips and I fight to gain access to their face as the juke and dive out of my way. I practically have to get them in a headlock to apply the much needed sun screen.

We’re off.


Click here for Part II » A Pirates Life For Me





Creative Commons License

The Adventures of Captain Imperfecto/Born Again by Christopher P. Fusaro is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at christopherfusaro.blogspot.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment