Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Anchor's Away

You are here: Home » Anchor's Away


October 3rd, 2012

Just a glorious day on our boat adventures with the boys but man this damn boat has been a headache since I’ve had it, however I do love it. I guess I’m just a glutton for punishment. The problems have just stemmed from trailering the damn thing. If it wasn’t for having to drive the boat across land to get to water, well we’d be just fine.
On day two of consecutive boating, things have been great. I dropped the boat in the water by the docks.

“Nico! Sit back, daddy can’t see, sit back, Nico. Daddy has to see that mirror.”

The trailer hits the water and the boat enjoys its bath as it’s finally in its element. I jump out of the truck and walk to the head of the trailer where I will release the boat fully in the water.

“Christopher! Get back in the truck until daddy’s finished,” I loudly announce.

The boat settles in the boat slip and I moor her to the deck of the dock. The excitement of heading out into the ocean begins to overwhelm me.

“Let’s go guys lets get on the boat,” I say and then go into singing the lyrics to a song from  Poison, “It ain’t nothin’ but a good time…”

I’m learning though, as far as making sure my boat is sea worthy, before I leave my house. I check the motor, check the lights, and make sure she’s in good working order before I drop her in the water. Trust me; it isn’t fun dropping your boat in the water only later to find out that it won’t start. Then you have to wait in the heat until someone comes to your rescue with a battery jumper and start your boat so you can have some fun. Can you tell I’ve learned the hard way?

The boys jump out of the truck and we walk to the docks. I jump in and then, one at a time, lower them into the boat. Almost there, just have to put on their life vests and we’re off!

Dadadada, dadadadada, dadadaadada

The boat won’t start.

Take 2, fast forward into now –

“Let’sgoguysletsgetontheboat,”I sayandthengointosingingthelyricstoasongfromPoision, “Itain’tnothin’butagoodtime…”Theboysjumpoutofthetruckandwewalktothedock.Ijumpin andthen,oneatatime,lowerthemintotheboat.Almostthere,justhavetoputontheirlifevestsand
we’reoff!

Replay (Marina brought over a jump box to start the boat)-

The boat starts and we are off! To enjoy a sun filled Florida beach day. The water had a light chop at 1-2 feet. The sun was beating down on us but the speed of the boat was cooling us off and the Bimini top provided good shade. It is such a good rid.... (Boat stops)

"Nico! Never, Never touch the boat throttle!"

Okay, so the boat, (Throttle in gear), yes the boat is such a good ride. This is definitely a pleasure cruise to relieve the stress off your shoulders. The music on the boat stereo is playing and I'm in my captain's seat, one foot on the center console enjoying the ride as we all wave at the passing boats.

"Christopher! Umm waving with one hand great. One hand wave and the other hand with a finger up your nose, not good."

We made it! Our destination. It's a sand bar island right in the middle of the intercoastal. This is what I'm talking about. I remove the anchor from the boat and walk in calf deep water as I push it down into the sand. The boys jump out of the boat using the bow as a diving platform and jump into the water. This is good clean fun living!

"Okay boys don't look at the topless girl over there. She's just a little ummm chocolate wasted," (thanks Adam Sandler).

The water is warm but not hot tub warm just warm enough to tolerate it and still cool off your body. It was a great time of snacks and drinks and salt water fun. I guess this is the definition of all those "Salt Life" stickers I see on the cars on the highways and bi-ways around here. It's amazing how sometimes the current will usher in warmer water. It's a great combination of warm and cold...

"Oh, wait. Nico, Chirstopher. Which one of you is peeing in the ocean?"

But like all fun things it must come to an end.

"Thanks for the help my friendly boat neighbors," I say to the person who docked next to me on the sand bar as he removes my anchor from the ground.

"No, please just place the anchor at the front of the bow. Once I leave this crowded area I'll secure it."

With that we were off. It's not a bad drive home in such beautiful weather with such gorgeous scenery. Just a minor glitch at the start, but damn, did this turn out to be a great day. I mean honestly just one of those days you want to bottle up and keep it safe for.....

THUD. SPLASH. CLING. CLING. ZIP.

"Okay guys my bad. I should have put the anchor away. I knew one of you would throw it in the water. Especially while the boat was moving. It's alright the day went great, just part of boating, it happens, I still love you..." (voice trails off as we fade off into the sunset).

Anchor's away.







Creative Commons License

The Adventures of Captain Imperfecto/Born Again by Christopher P. Fusaro is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at christopherfusaro.blogspot.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment