Tuesday, August 14, 2012

One in a Million

You are here: Home » One in a Million






August 14th, 2012



Free falling from the sky, I am but one of millions, upon millions, of tiny rain drops searching for my place to land. Drawn from the deepness of the ocean, I rise above the sea towards space, expanding myself into a vapor that searches for its relative humidity, that will form the clouds, where I will rest until I am released. I immerse myself in the pillow soft, white caps that slowly darken into a Nimbus cloud, high in the sky, and I bounce in my heavenly place. Waiting for my time to quench the land below, my little contribution to the world.

Finally the floodgates open, and I start my decent to the promise land. The air is cool as I glide along its jet stream letting it push me around from side to side. I get tangled up with the other drops of rain that have joined me in my free fall in liquid transparency. Like on a dance floor, we dance round and round. I imagine each dance different from the next: First we square dance and do the dosey doe, we spin around and move into a line dance, I grab my partner and swirl around, as we tango towards the ground.

My velocity increases, elongating me as strive for great things. I become heavier then the air and leave the swirling wind behind. I make my way closer to the ground frantically searching for my safe spot to land. I can’t think, I can’t blink, and I can’t rest. I must rely on my instinct and strike the ground at the best possible location that I find will fit me best. 

Once my location is decided on, I eye it with the best of my ability trying to remain focused. I zero in on that perfect spot. I close my eyes, but I can still see, because in this moment, everything is so clear to me, as clear as a glass pane window. I stretch out and land on the scorching hot ground. I miss my mark but, I feel refreshed and at peace.

I welcome the other raindrops as they land around me. I seek out old friends and make new ones, as we pool in to a puddle, forming as one. Our perfect place begins to lean with the weight of the other raindrops joining in and we begin to flow at a rapid pace, moving into a line, but we don’t separate.

The molecules in our soul are joined, as we head towards the river as one.

We are one and continue to be so, as we join the flood of water to our new adventure. No longer does the wind guide us down into our destiny. I am now on my own. And rely on the water that surrounds me to guide me into the place I want to go. I mingle with the fish and plants while supplying them with much needed energy to sustain their life. But I do not stay long because, I need to find my way back to the deep blue sea and to my own vitality.

The water behind me finally pushes me into the large ocean. I am here facing the darkness of the deep alone. Only seeing what’s in front of me, not knowing what is beyond the shroud of deep blue darkness that the light up above can not penetrate. It’s calm, but I can hear the roar of the sea above me as it pushes against my life down below. The current attempts to push me back to where I began but, I must move ever forward, disregarding what I left behind me, anticipating what I’m facing in front of me.

I allow myself to sink down into the under current, letting it push me further out to sea. With every move forward the darkness in front of me moves away, never allowing me to get close enough to see beyond it, unless…there is nothing there. The current stops and in blind faith I rise to the occasion, I rise to the top of the ocean to get a look see where I am, but again I’m absorbed into the air and lifted into the clouds to begin a new. I am born again. I live in the clouds until I am sent back down to earth to find my place. 

The good thing is during my free fall I have lived and learned from before and I am in control of where I will go. Choosing the destiny that will define myself in the years to come. I will separate myself from the rest because, even though I may be clumped with the millions of millions of other raindrops, I am but myself, and there is only one of me. And I am one in a million.










Christopher Fusaro. The author of Captain Imperfecto.

© copyright 2012. All rights reserved.


Also see us at www.captainimperfecto.com

No comments:

Post a Comment