Skip to main content

Here Today, Here Tomorrow

You are here: Home » Here Today, Here Tomorrow



Nico, Christopher, Max and Blake getting ready to start their day at the Magic Kingdom. June15, 2026.


October 9, 2026.

I haven’t written a blog in a while, which is kind of awkward considering there was a time when I wrote one every day. Then my daily blog became a weekly blog, my weekly blog became a monthly blog, and this year, I’m lucky if I write two or three in the entire year.

I’m not even sure I’ll get to my Halloween blog this year. I’ve written one every year, but as October flies by, even that tradition feels uncertain.

It’s not that I’ve lost interest in writing. Far from it. Life just has a demanding way of filling up every available minute. Between work, my wife, my children, their activities, family obligations, and everything else that comes with being an adult, the things I enjoy doing for myself sometimes get pushed to the side.

But there is something else. Over the last year, I’ve actually been writing quite a bit. Just not here.

I’ve been writing a novel.

After approximately fifteen months, I managed to complete the entire manuscript. The concept, the outline, the characters, and the story from beginning to end. Now, before I start congratulating myself too much, there’s still a lot of work ahead. Editing, rewriting chapters, fixing plotlines, and questioning whether certain scenes should have ever existed in the first place.

But, hey, whatever happens to the final product, I can feel good that I finished it.

And considering how many times I questioned whether I would, I think I deserve at least a small pat on the back.

So maybe I haven’t been here much this year, but I’m here today, and I’ll be here tomorrow.

I won’t lie. This year has been hard. Not just for me, but for a lot of people. And sometimes, with everything life throws at us, finding the time to appreciate the moment isn't always easy.

When I first started writing this blog, it wasn’t about finding humor in everyday life or looking at the world through a different lens. It was about grief.

It was about trying to understand loss, learning how to cope with it, and figuring out how to keep moving after something changes you permanently. I wrote about the pain, the confusion, the anger, and the emptiness. I wrote about the strange process of recovering from something you never truly recover from. I wasn’t sure what being here truly meant.

Because that’s the part people don’t always understand about grief. You don’t necessarily heal from it in the way people imagine. You learn to live with it. You learn how to carry it. Over time, it may become less overwhelming, but it never completely disappears.

The loss remains part of you.

Eventually, my blog began to change. The grief was still there, but it wasn’t the only thing I wanted to write about. I started looking at life differently. Sometimes that meant finding humor in something ridiculous. Other times, it meant looking for the brighter side of a situation that, at the moment, didn’t appear to have one.

But that perspective didn’t come from pretending everything was fine. It came from knowing what it felt like when everything wasn’t fine. And I thought that by sharing my own experiences, I might help someone who was going through something similar but didn't feel comfortable opening up about it.

Life is demanding. When you’re in the middle of something difficult, it can be hard to imagine getting through it. The problems seem enormous, the solutions seem nonexistent, and every day feels like a continuation of the one before it.

But somehow, you get through it.

Then time passes, distance gives you perspective, and you look back wondering how something that once consumed so much of your thoughts eventually became just another chapter in your life.

Sometimes you even wonder how the hell you managed to survive it.

For most people, change is what makes life difficult. But lately, I think the hardest part has been how much everything seems to stay the same lately and most of us are feeling it.

The economy sucks. Fuel prices suck. Politics suck. Everything seems more expensive, more complicated, and more exhausting than it needs to be.

And tomorrow? Well, tomorrow looks suspiciously like today.

Where’s the change?

Seasons change. Unless, of course, you live in South Florida, where our seasons are generally hot, hotter, ridiculously hot, and a few scattered days when everyone suddenly remembers they own a jacket.

But elsewhere, even the darkest winter eventually gives way to spring. The trees begin to bloom, the days grow longer, and the world starts looking beautiful again.

The world was beautiful the entire time. Sometimes the weather, much like our circumstances, just makes it difficult to see. Some of us are fortunate enough to live in places others would consider paradise, yet we get so caught up in everyday life that we forget to appreciate what's right in front of us.

Maybe that’s what we need to remind ourselves of occasionally.

That even when things aren’t going particularly well, there’s still something worth appreciating about being here today.

I’ve never been a big believer in sitting around feeling sorry for myself. That’s not to say I don’t get frustrated, discouraged, or occasionally wonder what the hell I’m doing. Believe me, I do.

But at some point, you have to put your head down and push through it.

Set a goal. Work toward it. Make mistakes. Fix them. Turn the page and keep moving.

Don’t become a victim of your circumstances simply because changing them requires more effort than you anticipated.

And don’t resign yourself to the idea that whatever you’re experiencing today has to become your tomorrow.

I remind myself of that whenever I sit down to work on my novel.

There are nights when I reread something I’ve written and think it’s pretty damn good. Then there are nights when I read the same chapter and wonder whether I’ve spent fifteen months writing something nobody will ever care about.

That’s self-doubt. And I imagine anyone who’s ever attempted something difficult has experienced it.

But what am I supposed to do? Quit?

After all that work?

Maybe the book gets published. Maybe it doesn’t. Maybe someone reads it and loves it. Maybe someone reads the first chapter and decides they’d rather reorganize their sock drawer.

I can’t control any of that.

I think the same principle applies to just about everything in life.

You can’t always control the circumstances you find yourself in, but you can control how you respond to them. You can look at a problem as something that’s going to defeat you or as something you haven’t figured out how to overcome yet.

That doesn’t mean every problem has an easy solution. Some don’t. Some take months, years, or a whole lot more patience than we think we have.

But standing still and waiting for things to magically improve isn’t much of a strategy either.

And maybe that’s the point of this whole blog.

This year hasn’t always cooperated. Things haven’t always turned out the way I planned. There have been setbacks, disappointments, and days when I’ve questioned whether I’m making any progress at all.

But I’m still here.

And as long as I’m here, there’s still an opportunity to do something about it.

Adulting is hard enough without pretending everyone is dealing with the same version of it. Some people are raising children. Some are caring for parents. Some are working multiple jobs. Some are trying to recover from something nobody else can see. Some are simply trying to figure out what comes next.

Whatever your situation is, if you’re making an effort to keep going, you deserve some credit.

So take a look around. Appreciate what you have. Work toward what you want. Find something that puts a smile on your face.

And when today isn’t what you hoped it would be, remember that there is life tomorrow.

Because unlike the old saying, here today, gone tomorrow, I’d rather look at life a little differently.

I’m here today.

I’ll be here tomorrow.



The family at Toy Story Land at Disney Hollywood Studios.  July 13, 2026.


Copyright 2012- 2026 Captain Imperfecto, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be republished, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.  Please contact us if you want to republish in film, television, or print. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hi Mama. Bye Mama

You are here: Home » Hi Mama. Bye Mama. June 26, 2012 Hi mama. Bye, mama. And so it goes. Up the street, hi, mama, down the street, bye, mama. The boys know where they can find mommy. It's just down the road, a path we take every day. Everywhere we go. We go with the flow. Hi mama. Bye, mama. It always starts the same, the familiar path of the road the boys have become accustomed to. It doesn't matter what we do; we will always pass right on through; regardless of how we travel, mom will always be on their left or their right. She's never too far out of sight. Hi mama. Bye, mama. The boys anticipate the car ride. They look on either side as we drive by, seeking a clear view of their mama to be seen through. They eagerly await with no other thought on their plate. They are just waiting for the moment to see their number one visually. Hi mama. Bye, mama We are getting closer now; they look at Dad, their pal. Their smiles reach from ear to ear, knowing the time is near...

"Far Away"

You are here: Home » "Far Away" May 5th, 2012 For mommy in heaven… My kids wouldn't let me sleep last night. I kept them busy all afternoon and evening, yet they were still very hyper. I picked Nico up from school at 2:00 o'clock P.M. and decided to take them for a road trip to Broward County. It's a close drive from where we live. I am just one county over to the north. I didn't feel like going home and falling into the same routine. I wanted to stimulate the boys so that they would sleep later that night. Honestly, maybe we all could get some sleep that night. It's hard to get motivated in life when you are sleep-deprived. Nico leaves class about 10 minutes earlier than the rest of the school. Since he was a premature baby, he has had a learning delay with speech. The State of Florida placed him in a program called Early Steps. It's a great program, and it allows him to catch up to the rest of his peers academically so that by the time h...

Anatomy of a Loss

You are here: Home » Anatomy of a Loss July 5, 2012 When you lose someone that you love and that you depend on, it feels like everything around you has just crashed and burned. It doesn't matter what is happening in the world because yours just got charred beyond recognition. You are forced to reprogram everything about you. Who you are. What your path in life was. The goals you had planned. Everything before the death of a loved one is scraped.  Your mind wanders about aimlessness, and you just go over your mind time and time again about how you will be able to do it. Where do you go from here? You are afraid and bewildered because you are unsure what to do and who to turn to. You find that you question God and yourself and examine everything about your life.  The doubts set in about yourself, and you want to return to the day before so badly just to reassure yourself that everything ...