Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Ride Baby Ride, Your Story

You are here: Home » Ride Baby Ride, Your Story


V.M. wanted to get away from her daily life and enjoy some "me" time. Who can blame her? V.M. told me what she wanted in the Design a Story section and I wrote it for her.

She works a tough job, she enjoys her grandchildren and attending church. She wanted a little adventure and action in her life.You can see other stories from other readers in the Your Story tab.

Enjoy your getaway V.M.

July 25th, 2012

“I can’t think” I mumble to myself as I stand in this dark storage room. The light bulb blew as I flicked the switch, which is indicative of the day I’m having. “ Where did they move the damn morphine” I say out loud, even though there is no one around to hear me.

Another patient is close to their death. And administering them some pain relief is the only comfort I can provide them at this time. The morphine doesn’t seem to be where it should be. My mind doesn’t seem to be where it should be.

The doctor declared him dead just a moment a go, gone to another world. I wish I could go to another world. Not death mind you, just an escape from the everyday life that I know. The stress of this job is taxing on my mind, body and soul. Being a patients nurse in hospice care is so rewarding yet, eats you up inside. There is so much life in our patients when they enter this building but death soon finds them and like clock work I administer the morphine to give them peace in the last remaining day or so they have. I need to get away.

Life is hard nowadays and this economy sucks, but thankfully I have my Cross Bones Harley in the garage. It doesn’t take much gas, so I can ride as far away from death as I can. And I usually do. I pray to God everyday for my patients, I pray to God everyday for my own patience. After this Sunday’s church service, some playtime with my grandchildren, it’s time to go for a ride because the rest of the day will be mine.

I walk my bike out of the garage and park it in the middle of the driveway. I go get my chrome cleaner and shine it up real nice. The chrome shines like a mirror as the sun reflects off the handle bars and exhaust. The glare gives my neighbors fair warning that I’m about to start my baby up. The exhaust pipes are double stacked and stretch the length of the bike, stopping as it reaches the end of the rear tire. The short pipes are loud, I mean rumbling loud, so when I start it, it will shake the windows.

Before I go on my ride, I throw on my blue jeans, place my leather vest  jacket over my black Harley shirt, with white writing in the front that reads “Don’t Mess with Jesus, Ride and be Free.”  That's right, there is a Jesus fish on my ride. I usually wear a helmet but not today. Today I’ll pull my hair in a pony tail and "ride with the bad boys freestyle, this girl ain’t afraid"-I think to myself.

I throw my leg over my bike and straddle the seat. I settle in and start my engine. The motor roars as I rev it up. The sound traveling 3 blocks deep, notifying everyone to stay out of my way. I stare directly in front of me, looking at my neighbors that are looking back at me. I know I am suppose to Love Thy Neighbor, but my baby needs to warm up. The bike shimmies my body, between idles and revs, like I’m dancing to a beat that's all my own, and I am, I truly am.

I use my thick black leather riding boots to place the bike in gear -stomp hard on the lower floor board and without looking, I give it gas, and charge out of my driveway, it’s me time…

“Bad to the bone Bad to the bone B-B-B-B-Bad B-B-B-B-Bad B-B-B-B-Bad Bad to the bone

The wind shoots through my pony tail as my hair whips in the wind. I ride long and I ride hard. It’s my getaway from reality as I head to the mountain trail that rides along the ocean side. I love it here, just curves, hills, and more curves along the rocked walls and foliage all around. No stop signs or traffic lights, I’m free as a bird, just me and my baby, just ride baby ride.

There is nothing like the smell of the open road, ocean air and exhaust from my bike. I glance to my left to catch the breaking waves. The white caps cresting on the edge as if they were waving “hi.” The ocean breeze puts tension on my bike, but the high handle bars allow me more control so I can take the soft corners of this road. The more I ride, I see the gifts God has given me on such a glorious sunny day. I know that the death I see, day in and day out, isn’t the last we will see of each other.

There is something about a ride on my baby that gives me freedom to think and freedom to feel. I don’t want to stop this ride but the sun is about to set and I want to catch a glimpse of it as it hides beneath the ocean. I want to pay respects for another day granted, on this wonderful day.

The sun begins to drift and I don't wanna miss it so I pull the bike hard left across the on coming lanes to get into an overlook area but wound up facing a large semi-truck. We are face to face, so I pull my bike hard right to avoid a collision. Not in the mood to play chicken with a 32,000 pound truck. I then pull my bike back left, like I was riding in a serpentine and the bike and I glide right into the overlook unscathed.

I pull my bike on the side of the road to enjoy such an awesome sight. The bright orange of the sun soft enough to look directly at, as it is swallowed by the sea. The reflection on the oceans surface slowly fades away, like life, but it will rise again on another day, that' s how I like to think of it anyway.

“What a sight and a spot to view it.” A voice rings out from behind me.

“Yes it is”, I say, without looking back.

“Something as beautiful as that lets you know that there is a God up there.” The baritone voice echoing in my ears.

I sigh, “Yes, it was a beautiful sunset.” I said with a little hope to my voice.

“Oh, yes that too.” The voice blurted out, stunning me.

I turn around and see a group of motorcycles that had stopped, where I did, so the riders can watch the sunset. I was so consumed in the suns beauty, I never heard the bikes pull up.

“Hi I’m Rick,” He said, with a smile that cut through his beard.

“Nice to meet you Rick. Where you guys headed?”

“We are just riding and honestly we don’t know where will end up, but i gotta tell ya, liked those evasive moves back there, it made us turn around. Do you wanna ride with us?” He asked straight forward. I could tell by his eyes he was serious and his demeanor told me he was sincere.

Yeah, I’ll go.” I said with butterflies in my stomach a nerve in my backbone.

“Well, get on your bike girl. And ride baby ride.”

…I broke a thousand hearts, Before I met you, I'll break a thousand more, baby, Before I am through, I wanna be yours pretty baby, Yours and yours alone I'm here to tell ya honey, That I'm bad to the bone."


Written by Christopher P. Fusaro

“Bad to the Bone” lyrics written by: George Thorogood

Click on the Design a Story link to provide some details and have your own story posted for free. Read the Be in Your Own Story link.










Christopher Fusaro. The author of Captain Imperfecto.

© copyright 2012. All rights reserved.


Also see us at www.captainimperfecto.com

No comments:

Post a Comment