Wednesday, July 25, 2012

I'll Take it to Go, Part I

You are here: Home » I'll Take it to Go, Part I


July 26th, 2012


Occurred Sunday July 22nd, 2012

“Fine, let’s eat inside” I announce to the boys. Finally giving in. They were tired of sitting in the car and started to get "cabin fever."

We sat in our minivan in the parking lot of the restaurant waiting for the food-to-go order that I had just phoned in to be complete. The rain was a slow drizzle at this point until the very moment I decided to step out of the van.
“Screw it, I’m committed now” I said aloud, as the rain swiftly came down at a thundering pace. Just my luck.

I ran to the passenger side of the van, hoping to out run the rain drops. But it isn't easy running from what seemed like buckets of water being thrown at me. I made it to the side opening of the van and attempt to lean my torso inside the cab as much as I could to preserve some dryness to my clothing. The cold rain drops landing on the uncovered areas pf cloth that my van roof isn’t protecting.

I frantically look for Nico’s shoes but can’t seem to find them. The rain continues to fall at a rapid pace and my ass takes the brunt of the storm. I spring my body into the van so I can continue my search for his elusive foot wear.

“Aww screw it.” I announce, “Let’s just stay… (I paused and think about going back to dreary old home)...well guys, we have to try this eventually so lets just do it.”

Resigned to the fact I can’t keep avoiding every place that doesn’t have a playground, I unbuckle both boys from their car seat and gather them in my arms.

“Nico, press the button to open the door” leaning down with him. Nico reaches out and pushes the little black button that will open the automatic door.

“Okay guys one, two, three!” I shout as I hop out of the van with both boys in my arms. I charge like the Cavalry to the main entrance. We reach the doors and I let both boys slide out of my arms and quickly usher them inside. When we walk inside the sports bar I look back and shut the door of the van with the remote.

Well, I’m sure I have a flood in there – I think to myself.

The boys run straight for the video games that are placed by the door. I pick the table right next to them.

“How great is this?” I say to the boys turning back to look at them from my seat, “Isn’t this great boys, we’re with the people, there are televisions everywhere, video games, everything we need.” I said to them celebrating a little success.

Maybe this will go well- the thought runs through my mind. Captain Imperfecto might just be perfect tonight.

The waitress approaches me and I notify her, “I had just ordered my food-to- go over the phone, but the boys wanted to come in here so, well here we are.” I said with a pleasant smile.

She doesn’t smile, just stares. There’s an awkward moment of silence.

“So” I say sucking in my smile, raising my eyebrow, “I hope that i….” she cut me off.

What’s the name on the order?” She said with the expression of annoyance on her face, probably by life as well.

“sn't....Chris.” I tell her trailing off my sentence.

She turned away without speaking to me and I didn’t dare say a thing back. I just want my food hot and cootie free.

Nico and Christopher are all over the video games. I don’t think it mattered that they weren’t actually playing the real game since I didn't have any quarters in my pockets. The game lights and steering wheel from the car racing game was fun enough for them.

I take in a few breaths and think to myself- this is going to work, and I zone out for a second.

My peripheral vision picked up two miniature bodies running off into the restaurant. Little people?- I think, I hope.

“Boys” I yell, “come back here." I said. Frustration in my voice.

Both boys went running down the stretch of open area that separates the bar and eating. They had removed their shoes, leaving them for dead on the video game.










Christopher Fusaro. The author of Captain Imperfecto.

© copyright 2012. All rights reserved.


Also see us at www.captainimperfecto.com

No comments:

Post a Comment