Friday, March 1, 2013

Happy Birthday, Son

You are here: Home » Happy Birthday, Son

Nico getting caught in the cookie jar

March 1st, 2013 // Happy Birthday

My boy just turned 5, happy birthday, son. I appreciate this age. Deep down I wish he’d stay this way. His truth in his words, the love in his heart and compassion in his soul, that he shares with me, appears to be as equal as mine. But deep down there is no comparison to a fathers love for his son(s).

There will be no greater accomplishment then to see my boys grow into men. The hard work and sacrifices I will make for them as they grow up will only be appreciated when they themselves, hold their own child in their arms. 

I didn’t appreciate what my dad did when he raised 4 of us on a shoe-string budget. Not to begrudge my mother, she did her best. She was the one who bore 4 kids at the ripe old age of 18. I guess when she turned 25 she wondered what was in it for her, this world, and decided that she had her own dreams to discover. My dad did what he had to do as a single parent and there isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t appreciate that, now.

I will sacrifice today, so my own kids can chase their dreams while I stand on the sidelines cheering them on as they conquer life. Knowing that I gave them the skill to succeed in life. That their dreams were accomplished because they leaned on me when times got rough and life got hard. I will make sure they find their dreams without having to sacrifice the ones around them as they try to touch what it is in their heart. And I will be there to guide them to the light, so they will not have regrets about their destiny.

There is no doubt that I want my sons to be better then I ever was and more then I’ll ever be. When they get where life was meant for them to be, they will know that I was their biggest fan. And I will appreciate the journey it took for them to succeed, because this life goes fast. My son just turned 5 and my youngest will be 4 and I don’ feel old because they keep me young.

I marvel in their youth and gladly participate in their games. Because that’s what dads do. Dads, according to what my wife once said, “are the fun ones.” But throughout the fun and games I will always be true to this: I’ll be their dad first, mentor second and best friend third. I will be a part of your life beyond today’s birthday.

God willing, I will be here after your 5th birthday guiding you to your 10th birthday, loving you through your teens, supporting you through your 20’s and caring for you until the day I die. I love you son, Happy birthday.





Creative Commons License


The Adventures of Captain Imperfecto/Born Again by Christopher P. Fusaro is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.


Based on a work at christopherfusaro.blogspot.com.

The Adventures of Captain Imperfecto ©  is also a Registered Copyright with the Office of the Registers, United States of America, TX 7-611-138

1 comment: