Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Get Lost in Some Rock n' Roll

You are here: Home » Get Lost in Some Rock n' Roll

September 19th, 2012

My sons love to dance. They dance without a care in the world. Grant their cookie request, boom, they begin to Rock n’ Roll. Tell them, “We are going on a car drive.” They start to move and flow while they Scream and Shout. Let them know, “will be on the boat” and they’ll start to Boogie Down. And the mere mention of Disney World well, they will definitely Groove Tonight.

Their dance routine starts the same. They shimmy their shoulders, alternating them individually forward and back. Both boys shift their hips in unison to keep up with their free wheeling shoulders. They bounce their knees as if their knees were on springs, bouncing all about without lifting their feet in the air. But then slowly lifting the back of their heals as they rise from the ground, until they reached the tips of their toes, then slowly go back down.

There is no music to go along with their dance. No Electric Slide to accompany them in their stance. It’s a free-for-all, moved by their jubilation brought to them by their elation of a Celebration that good things are going to come there way. So nothing is going to Break My Stride, when they begin to party like its 1999, even though they weren’t born back then.  It’s never too late to go a little retro, to experience The Way We Were when their parents had their music, their time.

When they are having fun, the boys like to kick it old school by Living on the Edge, and Wingin’ It, to express their happiness for their dad, who is just happy that in this moment, he doesn’t have to Mend a Broken Heart. For once I can be Bobby McFerrin and Don’tWorry, Be Happy that my boys are in a great mood. Because some days, we search everywhere, including Somewhere Over the Rainbow, for our Beautiful Day to arise because most of the time it feels like we are just trying to survive the week and everyday feels like our Manic Monday.

The way my boys move, may not be the Moves Like Jagger, but it’s a style that’s all their own. My sons make me bounce Off the Wall every once in a while but, they are Simply the Best, because their dancing Raises Me Up to brighten my day, because sometimes I’m feeling Hurt and Low and have no energy to shake, rattle and roll. The kids are just Amazing and know when to dance at all the right times to make me a Better Man for the day who is willing to play and go along with whatever comes along.

Their dancing is infectious and I slowly get intoxicated by their laughter and the thrill they give themselves as they sway to the Rhythm of the Night. I'm desperate to feel their freedom. I want to feel their uninhibited excitement for the simple things in life. I want to join their festivities and find gratification in their energy. If it Makes Me Happy, well it can’t be that bad.

Their dancing slowly attacks my outer barrier and is absorbed by my lifeblood as it interjects music notes into my soul. I begin to Feel the Beat of a tune that isn’t there.  I get swept up in a tone that was set by my boys and begin to Twist and Shout. My body is moving by itself, as I Twist again like I did last summer before this grief took hold. I work my way into the boys as they dance in a circle and we all begin to Dance the Night Away. 

So much can be learned in a child’s resiliency. From being knocked down to the ground. To getting back up to their feet. That’s when my boys become hero’s and begin to dance to their own Foolish Beat. It becomes additcing and I just want to Save the Night and remember always that they will Stand by Me and I will always Be There for them, especially tonight, on our homemade Dance Floor and get lost in some Rock n' Roll.






Creative Commons License

The Adventures of Captain Imperfecto/Born Again by Christopher P. Fusaro is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at christopherfusaro.blogspot.com.


 




Rock n’ Roll. – Led Zep Zeppelin/ Scream and Shout – Quite Riot
Boogie Down – Eddie Kendricks/ Groove Tonight- Earth, Wind and Fire/
Electric Slide – The Electric / Celebration- Kool and the Gang
Buffalo Stance – Neneh Cherry/ Break My Stride – Matthew Wilder/
1999 - Prince/ The Way We Were – Barbara Streisand/
Living on the Edge- Aerosmith/ Wingin’ It – Dylan Everett/
Mend a Broken Heart – Bee Gee’s/ Don’t Worry, Be Happy – Bobby McFerrin/
Somewhere Over the Rainbow – Judy Garlin/ Beautiful Day – U2/
Manic Monday – The Bangles/ Moves Like Jagger – Maroon 5/
Off the Wall- Michael Jackson/ Simply the Best – Tina Turner/
Raises Me Up – Josh Gorban/ Hurt – Johhny Cash/
Low- Cracker /Amazing- Aerosmith/ Feel the Beat – Lisa Lisa/
Twist and Shout – The Beatles / Twist- Chubby Checker/
Dance the Night Away – Van Halen / Save the Night – Eagle Eye Cherry/
Foolish Beat – Deborah Gibson/ Stand by Me – Ben E. King/
Be There  - Jackson 5/ Dance Floor – Jennifer Lopez


 

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely beautifully written! Wish that every father could see it that way. "N"

    ReplyDelete